Thursday, May 20, 2010

Feeling Pissy

There have been a couple of times since DJ has been diagnosed with peanut allergy that I get the feeling that certain friends just don't get it. They don't get how difficult it is to find safe restaurants to eat at and why we just don't take his own food with him to ones where we can't safely order something for him. I don't know how other people deal with this, but I don't want DJ to feel excluded. And to me, sitting in a restaurant eating food he couldn't possibly even touch doesn't seem fair. So when a 'friend' recently suggested I 'think about' bringing DJ to eat at an unsafe restaurant because that's his preference, I sort of felt like telling him to shove it.

Frankly, there's not a lot to think about for us. DJ's safety comes first - always. And for friends that don't understand that, I think we'll probably see less and less of them.

2 comments:

  1. I certainly understand how you feel. Fortunately or unfortunately, having an anaphylactic child helps you figure out who you really want to have in your inner circle. If someone is unkind about this, they're probably unkind about a lot of other things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your frustration too. Thank you for this blog. It has helped me so much. I am starting my own blog to try and help others as well. Take a peak when you have a chance :)

    ReplyDelete